Engineering Curriculum at Coronado High School: 2010 - 2014

Wednesday, April 13, 2011

When in doubt, shoot!

Last night I had the chance to catch our boys Lacrosse team at my old stomping grounds, La Jolla High.

(My iPhone died at the game so imagine a scenic shot from the top of the stands looking over the field and players west to the pink of a setting sun over the ocean)

I had to leave at the start of the second half but with a 7-1 lead things seemed well in hand for the Islanders. Congratulations on your victory!

As a once Viking Lacrosse player, I have to say I felt for LJHS. They looked like a scrawny, starving barbarian tribe in the face of a highly polished, well trained Roman Legion.

Here are a few things that came to mind as I watched both teams. It's been nearly half my life since I've played Lacrosse so take these with a grain of salt!:

When in doubt, shoot!- A few times epic moves went down just to end up with a player hesitating and taking the ball back out to the perimeter of the defense. Don't hesitate to shoot! A good maxim for life is "The more you shoot, the more you score".
Check and shoot like a boxer throws a punch. - A boxer doesn't "wind up" their punches. It takes more time telegraphing the move and doesn't add a lot to the power of the impact. So with your shooting and checking, explode from where you're at.

1 comment: