Engineering Curriculum at Coronado High School: 2010 - 2014

Wednesday, October 3, 2012

Rescue Ranger

I came across this critter yesterday afternoon. He had a fishing hook stuck in his mouth with line trailing off of it. Surely he would have died if I didn't make an effort to get him some help. I must have looked like a maniac scrambling around the low tide reef after him! I finally caught the guy and had the lifeguards pick him up to hand off to a wildlife rescue organization.

I mention this in context of our classes because it was a lesson in iterative design and perseverance. It took me many attempts and I nearly gave up. It was also a little intimidating to try and grab a wild critter. My first attempt was bare handed and that was too much for me. I got some gloves I keep in my car and felt much more capable with them. When I cornered the guy I used a feather off the ground to test his striking force and distance. Think of that as a "prototype" for my fingers! I didn't know what to expect. With better insight of what he was capable of I was ready to make the grab.



No comments:

Post a Comment