Engineering Curriculum at Coronado High School: 2010 - 2014

Friday, November 11, 2011

Service

It was thoughtful of the PTO to leave a nice Veteran's Day note for me at yesterday's luncheon they put on for all the CHS teachers. Thank you for the thought and also for the excellent food (apparently catered by Sapori if anyone has the chance to eat there).



It is the spirit of service, and the goal of spreading a design thinking mindset, that has me excited about the courses I'm developing to encourage leadership and innovation. I gained great experience as a servant leader in the Army and am happy to have a chance to put these skills to good use again. With any of my efforts teaching, I have the student's best interests at heart.

I had some amazing adventures when I was in the Army 10+ years ago. Here are a few pictures from that era:

LT Olson as "Apache 16": Platoon Leader 1-A-1-4IN


Preparing to depart on a night infiltration. Last minute coordination at the Tactical Operations Center meant I hadn't camoed up yet.


CPT Olson on the left. One day prior to conducting a Motorized Rifle Regement attack (100+ armored vehicles rolling out). Which piece of equipment that I'm carrying is the most important to this dismounted reconnaissance mission?


Despite being an Infantry Officer, I spent *a lot* of time maneuvering combined arms armored units (Tanks + APCs). Don't let the smile fool you, a few days in the snow in a metal box gets cold fast (although I did love this work!)...

No comments:

Post a Comment